We are recruiting to fill the position below:
Job Title: Divisions Manager, Education, Human Capital and Employment
Location: Côte d’Ivoire
Grade: PL 2
Position N°: 50092711
- The Vice Presidency for ‘Agriculture, Human, and Social Development’ is a Sector Complex focusing on the Bank’s Ten Year Strategy High 5s priority of “Feed Africa” and “Improve Quality of Life for the People of Africa”.
- The complex objectives are:
- To develop, policy and strategy;
- Provide deep sector expertise to the Regions by gathering pools of experienced individuals who can be consulted to provide sector expertise on complex transactions;
- Develop new financing instruments;
- The Vice President will act as the spokesperson to represent the Bank with external stakeholders on aspects of “Feed Africa” and Improve Quality of Life for the People of Africa”.
The Hiring Department/Division
- The Human Capital, Youth and Skills Development Department, within the Agriculture, Human and Social Development Complex will spearhead the achievement of the High 5s on “Improving the Quality of Life of People in Africa” and contribute to the other High 5s. The Department has two divisions (i) Education, Human Capital and Skills Development Division which focuses on scaling-up of Bank’s support to education, human capital and employment/livelihoods; and (ii) Public Health, Security and Nutrition Division focusing on strengthening health systems and nutrition for human wellbeing. It also hosts various pertinent initiatives and trust funds.
- The Education, Human Capital and Employment Division focuses on human capital development, skills training, employment creation and empowerment, poverty reduction for improved and sustainable wellbeing and livelihoods. The Division:
- Leads the development and promotion of Bank’s policy and strategy work so that operations which are identified, developed and executed by the regional hubs effectively implement the Bank’s relevant sector policies and strategies;
- Provides technical guidance/advisory services and expertise to regional hubs by generating relevant knowledge and gathering a pool of experienced individuals who can be consulted to provide technical advice on complex transactions (Communities of Practice);
- Fosters strategic partnerships with regional and global partners to leverage resources into the human and social development sectors. It also directly contributes to the work of the various initiatives and trust funds hosted under the department; and provides expertise to support Vice President’s role as the Bank’s spokesperson to external audiences, and;
- Ensures coherence of the Bank’s action in human and social development across regions.
The Division Manager Education, Human Capital and Employment, reports to the Director Human Capital, Youth and Skills Development Department. The Division Manager is in charge of providing leadership and supervising staff members to implement the activities of the Division and support related activities. The main work objectives are:
- Lead the Bank policy on Education in order to ensure that planned operations are implemented in conformity with Bank policies ;
- Provide strategic services and advice through Regional Centers to support Regional Members Countries in improving higher education pertinence and human capital production necessary for the transformation of Africa.
- Ensure development of Technical and Vocational Education employability and self-employment;
- Develop science, technology and innovation systems, in relation with the labor market needs;
- Develop access to basic and inclusive non formal education ;
- Promote education for peace, civics, and other democratic values;
- Development of Information and Communications Technology revolution strategy in Africa through Information and Communications Technology flagship models;
- Provide necessary technical support and expertise to all units of the Bank in terms of Education.
Duties and Responsibilities
The Division Manager Education, Human Capital and Employment, under the oversight of the Director Human Capital, Youth and Skills Development Department, manages staff of the Division: plans, organizes, supervises and leads the activities so as to ensure effective service provision. The incumbent performs the following specific duties:
- Lead, supervise and conduct strategic missions of the Division;
- Establish individual work programs of the Division staff members on the basis of strategic plan identification of the Bank operations, with key indicators to asses budgetary and human resources ;
- Set quarterly and annual objectives and priorities to be achieved in the Division
- Ensure mid-term review with each staff member of the Division ;
- Supervise, control and follow-up the professional performance of the staff members based on their work programs and on general procedures for performance assessment;
- Promote and encourage team work within the Division in order to meet the expected objectives;
- Participate in staff selection, support human resource management, and facilitate full achievement of technical work;
- Identify training needs and capacity building;
Provision of technical support:
- Prepare the Division’s budget;
- Establish an agenda for activities implementation ;
- Organize periodical Division meetings;
- Participate in Departmental Meetings (DMT) and ensure follow-up of recommendations;
- Provide advice to the Director of the Department on questions relating to Education.
Other work units functions:
- Promote collaboration with the Public Health, Security and Nutrition Division and the Jobs for Youth in Africa Team;
- Participate high level strategic meetings ;
- Provide expertise and leadership in policy development and review of policies, procedures of the Bank Group relating to Education;
- Manage cooperation programs with technical agencies of the United Nations in order to ensure coordination of sector activities with other donors ;
Including desirable skills, knowledge and experience:
- Hold at least a Master’s degree or equivalent in Social Science, Education, Economics and other related disciplines;
- A minimum of eight (8) years of extensive and progressive experience in an internationally recognized financial or development Institution, three (3) years of which should be at a managerial level; PhD in relevant discipline will be a plus.
- Good knowledge of policies and actors in action-oriented themes in the fields of Education, Human Capital and employment in development countries especially in Africa.
- Experience of preparing and managing development projects and ability to introduce work methods to increase effectiveness in a changing environment;
- Experience in planning, organising, managing and coordinating the activities of similar units and supervising Division’s staff, organising teams, and providing managerial support;
- Client oriented: direct and oversee team processes and outputs, provide guidance, feedback and insight to improve quality of the Bank’s actions relative to Education, Human capital and Employment sector.
- Capacity to communicate and develop in action plans the strategy relative to the division.
- Experience in delivering high quality operational products and services (economic analyses, research advice, sector studies and reviews).
- Proven leadership and team building skills; results oriented and ability to work in a multicultural environment.
- Communicate and write effectively in French or English, with a good working knowledge of the other language.
- Competence in the use of standard Microsoft Office applications (Word, Excel, Access, PowerPoint); knowledge of SAP is desirable.
Application Closing Date
9th December, 2017.
How to Apply
Interested and qualified candidates should:
Click here to apply online