We are recruiting to fill the position below:
Job Title: Deputy Program Director (MAIDA)
Program / Department Summary
- The MAIDA programme will directly support the recovery of at least 70,000 women, men, girls and boys who are returnees, IDPs and members of host communities affected by the Boko Haram insurgency in southern and central Borno State.
- The objective of MAIDA is to increase the social cohesion and resilience to economic, social and climate related shocks in Borno State in an environmentally-conscious way.
- Four interrelated and mutually reinforcing intermediate outcomes will contribute to achieving this objective.
- First, MAIDA will restore and improve rural livelihoods in an ecologically sustainable manner by enabling households to take advantage of existing and new agricultural market opportunities.
- In parallel, adolescents and youth will be empowered as economic actors in their communities through access to employment, diversified livelihood opportunities, vocational training and business development initiatives.
- These outcomes will be reinforced by improved access to social protection and community-based services for women, youth, adolescent breadwinners and other at-risk groups.
- Finally, overall social cohesion will be strengthened within and between conflict-affected communities and environmental resource management will be improved in areas of displacement and return.
- Sectors of intervention will include market-led and climate-smart livelihood and employment opportunities, vocational training for youth, social and economic protection and community reintegration and peacebuilding.
- Economic recovery activities will build resilience through Making Markets Work for the Poor (M4P) market systems-based models, reducing poverty by enhancing the ways that poor and vulnerable households interact with markets.
General Position Summary
- The Deputy Programme Director is responsible for overall day-to-day management and coordination of the MAIDA program at field level.
- S/he will manage, coordinate, supervise and evaluate program staff in all target LGAs and communities.
- S/he will also provide technical and strategic management support to the programme.
- The Deputy Programme Director will promote a culture of constant programme improvement, mentor the programme team, integrate monitoring and evaluation into programme activities and ensure the delivery of high-quality programme that delivers impact.
Essential Job Responsibilities
Strategy & Vision:
- Provide leadership and strategic vision in all aspects of the programme’s development, implementation and management.
- Manage the day-to-day activities of the programme in Borno State.
- Recognize opportunities for innovative action and create an environment where alternative viewpoints are welcome.
- Set direction by prioritizing and organizing actions and resources to achieve objectives and impact.
- Support evaluation assessments and analysis to identify areas for programme improvement.
- Coordinate the implementation of programme activities in each of the seven target LGAs and 30 communities; ensure implementation of activities is on-time, on-scope and on-budget using effective management systems to reach desired impacts.
- Create and maintain systems ensuring effective and transparent use of financial resources for timely reporting according to Mercy Corps and donor policies and procedures.
- Identify and manage links with existing and planned donor interventions that promote resiliency in target communities in Borno State.
- Identify Nigerian partners – NGOs as well as vocational training/skills centers – to participate in MAIDA activities.
- In collaboration with the M&E team, ensure monitoring, evaluation and analysis are integrated into program design and implementation to promote adaptive management and a culture of constant programme improvement.
- Support the design and implementation of relevant surveys, need assessments, data and information collection for on-going monitoring and learning.
- Organize and conduct site-visits to the project sites and host visitors and donors, as needed.
- Sustain a work environment of mutual respect where team members strive to achieve excellence.
- Promote accountability, communicate expectations and provide constructive feedback via regular performance reviews.
- With the Programme Director, supervise, hire and orient new team members as necessary.
- Provide team members with information, tools and other resources to improve performance and reach objectives.
- Implement performance planning and management systems.
- Consolidate work plans for each target LGA into one programme-level work plan. Ensure timely delivery of activities.
Finance & Compliance Management:
- Ensure compliance with donor and Mercy Corps regulations related to emergency programming.
- As part of our commitment to organizational learning and in support of our understanding that learning organizations are more effective, efficient and relevant to the communities they serve, we expect all team members to commit 5% of their time to learning activities that benefit Mercy Corps as well as themselves.
- Ensure compliance with security procedures and policies as determined by country leadership.
- Proactively ensure that team members operate in a secure environment and are aware of policies.
- Work closely with Mercy Corps Nigeria country team’s security focal point to develop and maintain systems that ensure the safety and security of the team in all aspects of its implementation process.
Accountability to Beneficiaries:
- Mercy Corps team members are expected to support all efforts toward accountability, specifically to our beneficiaries and to international standards guiding international relief and development work, while actively engaging beneficiary communities as equal partners in the design, monitoring and evaluation of our field projects.
Knowledge and Experience
- Master’s Degree or its equivalent in Management, Social Sciences, International Development or other relevant field.
- A minimum of 8 years of progressive work experience including at least 3 years in a senior management or technical advisory role on large, resilience-focused programme.
- Experience managing large-scale programmes required. Expertise in at least one of the following areas preferred: agriculture, nutrition, youth empowerment, social cohesion, protection, increasing economic assets.
- Strong understanding of EU compliance issues.
- Strong management skills. Experience managing a multi-organizational team preferred.
- Experience working in North East Nigeria preferred.
- Experience with M4P methodologies and private-sector initiatives preferred.
- Strong written and oral communication skills in English required, including report development, writing and editing.
- Ability to speak fluently in Hausa is essential while the ability to speak fluently in Kanuri is preferred
- Demonstrated attention to detail, ability to follow procedures, meet deadlines and work independently and cooperatively with team members.
- Demonstrated experience working with State-level ministries and government officials.
- Strong interpersonal and communication skills; ability to develop strong, collaborative relationships. Able to represent the organization to a broad range of stakeholders.
- The ability to interact effectively with international and national personnel is required.
- A demonstrated ability to multi-task, meet deadlines and process information in support of changing program activities is necessary.
- The most successful Mercy Corps staff members have a strong commitment to teamwork and accountability, thrive in evolving and changing environments and make effective written and verbal communication a priority in all situations.
Application Closing Date
4th August, 2017.
How to Apply
Interested and qualified candidates should send their CV’s and Cover Letter in one document, addressing the position requirements to: email@example.com All applications must include the position title in the subject line, be not more than four pages.
Note: Only short-listed candidates will be contacted for interview and we are an equal opportunity organization so women are strongly encouraged to apply for this position.