IITA is an international non-profit agricultural research-for-development (R4D) organization established in 1967, governed by a Board of Trustees, and a member of the CGIAR Consortium. Our R4D approach is anchored on the development needs of the tropics. We work with partners to enhance crop quality and productivity, reduce producer and consumer risks, and generate wealth from agriculture. We have more than 100 internationally recruited scientists from about 35 countries and 900 nationally recruited staff based in various stations across Africa.
We are recruiting to fill the vacant position of:
Job Title: Database Assistant, Application Developer
Recruitment Type: National (1-year renewable contract)
Successful candidate will among other things perform the following:
- Assist in compiling, review, formatting, update and enter incoming/legacy data from collecting missions, fields, screen houses and collaborators into Genetic Resources Center databases and GeneSys.
- Formatting and conversion of accessions georeference data from collecting missions
- Compile reporting data to be uploaded into Online Reporting Tool.
- Maintain the visitor’s book and enter visitor’s information into the database.
- Liaison with GRC Database Manager on storage of passport, characterization and evaluation data into the databases.
- Contribution to Genebank data reporting and user manuals writing of existing/new applications.
- Perform any other duties as may be assigned by the supervisor.
Qualification, Experience and Skills
- B.Sc in Agric-economics with qualified data manipulation skills, Data Management or related discipline with minimum experience of two (2) years in a similar position.
The ideal candidate must:
- Have sound understanding of geo-referencing data handling.
- Be familiar with Microsoft Access and Microsoft Excel.
- Have good knowledge of sample tracking systems and data retrieval such an inventory management system.
- Be familiar with plant genetic resources and genebanks would be an advantage.
- Have good communication skills.
We offer highly competitive salary with equally attractive fringe benefits and excellent working conditions in a pleasant campus environment.
Application Closing Date
31st December, 2015.
Method of Application
Interested applicants should forward their applications with detailed curriculum vitae saved with their names in Microsoft word format. The application must include the names and e-mail addresses of three professional referees which must include either the Head of applicant’s current or previous organization or applicant’s direct Supervisor/Superior officer at work and evidence of current remuneration package.