Catholic Relief Services (CRS), in partnership with Mercy Corps (MC), the Catholic Caritas Foundation of Nigeria (CCFN), the Federation of Muslim Women Association of Nigeria (FOMWAN) and eight (8) Civil Society Organizations (CSOs) is implementing the Feed the Future Nigeria Livelihoods Project (FFNLP), with support from the United States Agency for International Development (USAID). The project employs a multi-sector approach that will help 42,000 vulnerable households (HHs) in rural communities in northern Nigeria’s Sokoto and Kebbi states, and in the Federal Capital Territory (FCT) grow their agricultural and non-agricultural incomes.
We are recruiting to fill the vacant position below:
Job Title: Consultant (Market and Value Chain Mapping)
Locations: Sokoto, Kebbi & Abuja (FCT)
The focus of this assignment is to develop a market access study to determine the extent to which product value chain upgrades will be required for beneficiaries in technical and vocational skills, micro franchising agricultural production, and processing to competitively identify and take advantage of local market opportunities.
Specifically, the Study will:
- Provide a detailed market analysis of industries relevant to the project (formal and informal sector): fashion, textile, agriculture, and consumer goods (including, but not limited to, food, personal and home care divisions).
- This must include assessing market needs, particularly product types and specifications/quality standards, and the nature of bargain taking place between different market players in the study area (relationships, attitudes, and behaviors).
- Understudy 400 individual beneficiary enterprises and the products produced in order to map the supply and value chain, including primary and secondary market actors.
- Assess and profile businesses and products that are capable of meeting market needs, including resources, skills, capacity related to procurement of input, production and supply of products.
- Analyze the capacity of profiled businesses to access credit, information and resources.
- Determine aspects of product value and supply chains to upgrade for successful direct linkages with market as well as propose a detailed plan of interventions to address constraints identified in chains.
- Determine all regulatory requirements that market suppliers (beneficiaries) and the market must meet.
- Determine and draft market terms and conditions for trade.
- Propose alternative strategies for forward and backward linkages to markets based on findings.
- Construct scenarios of the economic impact (change in market share, increase in local trade, profits, jobs, and wages) that the market linkage would bring about.
- Identify investment needs, and opportunities for potential investors to enable businesses scale up to meet market demand.
- Identify opportunities for interested private sector players in the industries relevant to the project as off-takers and/ investors in the expansion of individual micro-enterprises within broader industries.
- A comprehensive market access report that addresses the objectives above, with a specific focus on the following sectors: Agriculture, Fast Moving Consumer Goods, Textile, Fashion and other sectors as identified during research.
- An investment analysis report and deck for potential investors in each industry.
- Organize a stakeholder workshop including presentations on proposals for upgrading and introducing innovations into the value and supply chain to meet market needs.
- Conduct weekly progress sessions with project team.
- Data collection instruments.
- Hire enumerators at Mercy Corps rate.
Required/ Preferred Skills and Experience
- A Master’s Degree in economics, business or other relevant field.
- Prior experience conducting market access studies.
- Demonstrated strong understanding of value and supply chains, market and investment analysis.
- Excellent command of English.
- Excellent communication, organisation and teamwork skills/
- Working experience with international non-governmental organisations and civil society organisations/
- Federal Capital Territory Abuja (4 communities from 1 LGAs)
- Kebbi State (8 communities from 2 LGAs)
- Sokoto State (16 communities from 4 LGAs)
Prior to and during the evaluation, the Mercy Corps FFNLP staff will provide the consultant/evaluator with the following resources:
- Relevant documents
- Access to project communities
- Logistical support
Period of the Assignment
The assignment will be for a period maximum of 35 days. A work plan may be:
- Week One and Two: Data collection, beneficiary interviews, field work.
- Week Three: Data analysis and meetings with Mercy Corps and partner organizations.
- Week Four: Draft report and review by Mercy Corps for comments.
- Week Five: Final report, investment analysis deck, presentation to Mercy Corps and partners.
The Evaluator will respond to this scope of work providing a detailed work plan, methodology, detailed work schedule and budget. In addition, the evaluator will provide the following:
- CV of lead researcher with evidence of prior market access studies.
- Key personnel working on the study together with their qualifications and experience.
- An individual or company profile.
- Evidence of working experience in Africa, and preferably in Nigeria is desirable.
Application Closing Date
24th August, 2017.
How to Apply
Interested and qualified candidates or companies should send their Expression of Interest along with other relevant supporting documentations to: firstname.lastname@example.org Subject for the email should clearly state EOI for “Market Access”
- Submissions after the deadline will not be taken into consideration.
- All applications must include the position title in the subject line.
- Only short-listed candidates will be contacted.
- We are an equal opportunity organization and we strongly encourage women to apply for this position.