We are recruiting to fill the position below:
Job Title: Consultant – Food Security and Livelihoods Assessment
Locations: Maiduguri, Borno
About the consultancy
- Based in DRC Maiduguri office opened in July 2015 and from where DRC is currently implementing a comprehensive emergency and early recovery programme, notably GFD and BSFP distributions, your main duties and responsibilities will be:
- Conduction of a HEA survey to assess how community livelihoods are or will be impacted by economic and ecological change.
- Identification of coping strategies used by the local population to face the on-going crisis and assessment of the factors required in order to effect positive change towards stabilising community resilience.
- Conduction of a detailed assets and market analysis of the designated areas, encompassing the range of goods, items and services that contribute to stabilisation in a post-emergency phase and the transition into resilience and early recovery.
- Institutional mapping of relevant organizations, groups and institutions, highlighting what organizations are doing and for whom, including both existing and planned programmes that could be directly or indirectly supporting food security and livelihoods.
- Development of a “roadmap” for integrated programming that addresses evolving needs most effectively and sustainably as communities’ transition into post-emergency and, later, early recovery phases.
Please note that the areas to be covered by this assessment are all the LGAs where DRC is working in which means both LGAs in Borno State (Ngala-Gamboru, Mafa, Jere (Farm Centre), Bama, Askira/Uba, Kaga, & Gwoza LGAs), Adamawa State (Michika & Madagali LGAs) and Yobe State (Damaturu, Gujba & Gulani LGAs). Thus, this consultancy will include important level of field visits in remote and unsecure areas. An update on which areas are accessible will be given when consultant will start to work.
- To be successful in this role we expect you to be an experienced food security and livelihoods expert with extensive knowledge of Sahelian/West Africa context and proved experiences in conducting such similar assessment exercise.
- All employees should master DRC’s core competencies: Communicating, Taking the lead, Collaborating, Striving for excellence and Demonstrating integrity.
- Advanced university degree or equivalent in Humanitarian/Development Studies, Social Sciences, or other fields related to the provision of humanitarian assistance in Food Security and Livelihoods.
- At least 10 years of relevant experience and proven expertise in the humanitarian sector with significant experience in monitoring, data analysis, research and/or evaluation – including prior experience in program reviews/real-time evaluations – of food security and livelihoods programmes.
- Demonstrated experience conducting assessments, data collection and analysis in volatile, hostile or insecure environments.
- Demonstrated knowledge of Sahelian/Western African context.
- Strong quantitative and qualitative research skills and strong analytical and synthesis skills.
- Strong understanding of multi-sector approaches to emergency and post-emergency programming, resilience-building and early recovery.
- Excellent command in written and spoken English.
- Contract length: 2 months
- Level: Consultancy contract
Application Closing Date
16th March, 2018.
How to Apply
Interested and qualified candidates should:
Click here to apply online
Click Here for Terms of Reference (ToR) (MSWord)
- A one page application letter addressing:
- The Consultant/Consultancy Team’s previous experience and relevance to the proposed assignment.
- The names, expertise, years of experience and relevance of team members in undertaking this assignment.
- A comprehensive proposal demonstrating firm understanding of the Terms of Reference, with a breakdown into assessment areas showing how each assessment sector is going to be undertaken.
- Updated CVs for all consultants including relevant work, number of days required, specific roles, experience and qualifications.
- Detailed and comprehensive budget covering all assessment costs, including consultancy fees, per diems, flight tickets, assessment and training costs, transportation, accommodation costs, visa fees etc.
- Samples of recently written reports on similar assignments. Individual sector assignment reports can also be submitted in lieu of the above.
- Contact details for three references.