Deadline: Not Specified
Sahel Consulting Agriculture & Nutrition Limited (SCANL) is a leading management consulting firm focused on the agricultural and nutrition sectors in Africa. We partner with government agencies, private sector companies and leading international development organizations to conduct research, analyze policies, develop strategies and implement programs that promote sustainable food security and improved nutrition. We have worked on a variety of projects across West Africa, including in Benin, Burkina Faso, Ghana, Mali, Nigeria, and Senegal.
Sahel provides a wide array of services including: Value Chain Analysis, Policy Analysis, Market Entry / Strategy Consulting, Agribusiness Training and Project Implementation.
Artificial Insemination Vetenarian
- Job Type Full Time
- Qualification BA/BSc/HND
- Experience 3 years
- Location Kano, Oyo
- Job Field Agriculture / Agro-Allied
About the project:
The Nigerian Dairy Development Program (NDDP) is geared towards improving the livelihoods of smallholder dairy farmers in Nigeria by improving the productivity of their cattle and integrating them into the formal dairy value chain in Nigeria. The Project also includes a nutrition component and a gender component geared towards improving nutrition outcomes and promoting women empowerment in smallholder farming communities.
This project is implemented by Sahel Consulting Agriculture & Nutrition Ltd. and a consortium of other partners. The project seeks to boost the yields and incomes of smallholder farmers, increase nutrition outcomes and empower women involved in agriculture in Africa.
The A.I Veterinarian (AIV) position is for experienced practitioners with a passion for agriculture. The AIV must have a thorough understanding and hands-on experience of animal reproduction and anatomy. He/she will have the opportunity to monitor and support interventions to improve the productivity of local cattle breeds through artificial insemination (AI).
Duties and Responsibilities:
- Monitor and support dairy farmers’ sensitization and training activities around the AI process, their roles & responsibilities and good AI practices
- Monitor the activities of the service provider hired to deliver AI services to participating dairy farmers. This includes:
- Review protocols being used for effectiveness and ensure they are being adhered to
- Track and monitor inputs procurement, distribution and management
- Monitor proper administration of inseminations and other services to the participating cows for effectiveness.
- Collect and review records of activities for quality control
- Conduct routine monitoring visits to participating farmers to check cows’ health status, monitor adherence to taught proper feeding & herd management practices, investigate and advise on reported issues.
Minimum Required Skills & Experience:
- Bachelor’s or a higher degree in Animal Production and Health, Veterinary Services, Livestock Management or related discipline.
- Proven experience, skills and knowledge and preferred experience in dairy management, animal health, feed/fodder management and livestock extension services especially in African settings.
- Veterinary license and certification in artificial insemination are required.
- At least 3 years of professional A.I and Veterinary experience.
- Attention to detail
- Excellent record keeping skills
- Genuine interest in livestock / animal breeding
- Strong program management skills and high level of analytical and problem-solving skills
- Excellent oral and written communication skills (both written and verbal), interpersonal and facilitation skills
- Fluency in English, Hausa or Yoruba
- Proficiency in Microsoft Office suite, including Word, Excel, PowerPoint and Outlook
- Willingness and enthusiasm for working with rural and vulnerable communities living in remote areas of the country.
- Willingness to travel (required)
Method of Application
Qualified and interested applicants should submit a Word-formatted single document consisting of:
- Cover letter
Submit to firstname.lastname@example.org. Please identify the position for which you are applying in the subject line. We welcome hearing from qualified and interested applicants. Due to a high volume of applicants, please understand that we are able to contact only those who meet the minimum qualifications. Applicants are strongly advised not to cold-call or send unsolicited applications.