Our client, a large horticultural farm based in Nigeria, is looking for suitable candidates to fill the position of an Agronomist.
Industry: Agricultural Industry
Job Type: Agronomist
Closing date: 31th August 2012
The position will oversee;
- Production by growing in greenhouse and shade hall, high quality vegetables and flowers in all aspects of crop husbandry; – soil cultivation, sowing, planting, pruning, harvest, crop protection, climate control, post harvest handling.
- Prepare the cropping plans in collaboration with the marketing department. He/she is to also determine the total expected yield. The incumbent will also recommend technical improvements with related costs estimates and benefits and will implement improved or new production techniques for greenhouse, shade hall and open field.
- He/she is to establish the fertilizer levels and fertilizer settings and its specifications. He/she is also responsible for preparing the procurement need for farm inputs such as fertilizers, crop protection chemicals, seeds, strings, and other production materials.
- Operate and manage the greenhouse system
- Plan, coordinate and supervise technical processes aimed at producing quality vegetables and flowers
- Contribute to the other related activities such as quality testing, cold room management, data base management and other projects as they develop
- Coordinate with marketing and finance departments for a smooth integration of total project
- Train agronomists and other workers in all processes aimed at producing quality vegetables and flowers and in operating the climate control computers.
- To provide leadership to the growing team thus ensuring, so far as possible, they become an effective team.
- Ensure compliance and participation of Safety, Stewardship and Regulatory policies, while setting high standards of professional conduct
- Continually reviewing farm processes with a view towards increasing their effectiveness and efficiency via business improvement methodologies (supporting continuous improvement in business processes).
- The management team
- Other departmental heads
- All levels of staff from the Project Manager downwards.
For Appointment of this position applicants MUST HAVE met the following requirements:
- A graduate agronomist or equivalent with at least 6 years post graduate experience
- Familiar with hydroponics production of vegetables in greenhouses and also flowers
- Experience in use of automated climate (controlled green houses).
- Ability to communicate effectively with a wide internal audience from General Manager downwards.
- A good understanding of the use and application of IT and a thorough knowledge of greenhouse standards.
- Capacity to adapt behaviour to cope with significantly different environments and culture.
Candidates who fail to meet the minimum requirements need not apply.
If you have the requisite experience and qualification for this role, we would like to hear from you. Please email your application letter together with a copy of your updated curriculum vitae to
Deadline: Before close of business 31st August 2012.