We are recruiting to fill the position below:
Job Title: Agronomist
Position N°: 50069311
- The Vice Presidency for ‘Regional Development, Integration and Business Delivery ‘responsible for operational relevancy, efficiency and effectiveness of the Bank Group’s operational programs, and activities.
- The Vice Presidency Regional Development, Integration and Business Delivery will ensure that the Bank operates successfully across its Regional Members Countries and will oversee the full implementation of all aspects of the Bank’s Regional Directorates
The Hiring Department/Division
- Within the Regional Development, Integration and Business Delivery Complex, the Bank has five (5) Regional Development, Integration and Business Delivery Directorates, one in each region of Africa: North, South, East, West, and Central.
- Each Regional Directorate is headed by a Director General and is staffed with the relevant sectoral functions and administrative capabilities for rapid delivery of services to client countries.
- The Regional Directorates provide overall strategic direction to country offices within the regions and are responsible for the Bank’s operations, business development, project management and overall effective delivery of the Bank’s High 5s :‘Light Up and Power Africa’, ‘Feed Africa,’ ‘Industrialize Africa,’ ‘Integrate Africa,’ and ‘Improve the Quality of Life for the People of Africa.’
- The mission of the Agriculture, Human & Social Development Division is to contribute to the Bank’s efforts to reduce poverty and promote sustainable development in Regional Member Countries.
- It does so by contributing to development of country and regional strategies and building sector knowledge and focusing on project/programme origination and delivery for approval of operations defined under the High 5 priorities.
- The Agriculture and Agro-Industry Department provides support for the delivery of Feed Africa: Strategy for Agricultural Transformation in Africa, 2016-2025.
- The strategy aims to end hunger and rural poverty in the next decade through self-sufficiency in 18 priority commodity value chains specific to the continent’s agro-ecological zones. Realizing the objectives set forth in the strategy requires increased productivity; value addition; investment in infrastructure; an enabling agribusiness environment; capital flows; and inclusivity, sustainability, and effective nutrition.
- The Department leads the effort to transform agricultural systems for greater competitiveness, inclusivity and sustainability, and for enhanced job creation and poverty reduction.
- The Agronomist will provide technical support to the Bank Group’s operational activities in the field of agriculture and rural development, technical studies and institutional mechanisms for agricultural projects/ programs proposed for Bank financing, as well as the feasibility study of their current and future impact and benefits.
Duties and Responsibilities
Under the guidance of the Division Manager RDGW.2, in liaison with the Mali Country Manager, the Agronomist is responsible for execution of the following activities with the associated deliveries:
- Contribute to the preparation and evaluation of development strategies and policies the rural sector;
- Contribute to the improvement of quality at entry of projects and programs of the rural sector through participation in identification, preparation and evaluation missions of projects / programs in the rural sector; studies carried out by the Bank in these sectors and contribute to the drafting and review of reports;
- Monitor portfolio implementation of Bank projects in Mali and the region in the rural sector;
- Provide expertise in reviewing bid evaluation reports and conduct evaluation of technical and financial proposals for contracts related to project implementation;
- Advise and assist the project implementation units in the knowledge and control of the Bank Group’s Rules and Procedures for procurement of goods, works and services, the implementation of loans and compliance with other general conditions such as audits of project accounts, quarterly progress reports and others;
- Plan and carry out project oversight by preparing mission programs in collaboration with the Government and organizing visits to project sites;
- Participate in supervisions, mid-term reviews, project completions and portfolio review missions;
- Follow up on the recommendations related to the supervisions, mid-term reviews, portfolio reviews, audit and completion reports with due attention to project monitoring and evaluation;
- Contribute to the identification of co-financing with other partners by strengthening coordination with partners and dialogue with the Government;
- Represent the Bank in seminars, conferences and workshops dealing with
- sectors of agriculture, livestock, fisheries, forestry and the environment;
- Participate in activities, meetings and working sessions related to aid coordination, dialogue and sector-wide approach in order to better advise and guide country director, sector director and Bank management;
- Ensure dialogue with the government in the rural sector and provide advice to the government in its cooperation with the Bank in the rural area.
- Perform others duties as assigned by immediate supervisor.
Including Desirable Skills, Knowledge and Experience
- At least a Diploma in Agronomic Engineering or a Master’s in Rural Development (Agriculture, Livestock, Fisheries) or equivalent, an Agricultural Engineer (or related discipline), with a specialization in Agricultural Economics or Agro Economics.
- A Diploma or qualification in Project Management is an added advantage.
- A minimum of five (5) years of relevant professional experience in the technical analysis of projects of preference in the field of project preparation, evaluation, management and / or supervision.
- Good analytical skills in the Bank’s rural development projects.
- Knowledge of Mali’s development policies and strategies in general and in the rural sector in particular.
- Proven ability to implement country or sector level agriculture analytical and capacity building initiatives;
- An understanding of cross-cutting issues beyond agriculture and social development (e.g. procurement, governance, donors’ practices) at sector/country level;
- Good networking skills and judgment which are required in the management of professional relationship with external partners working in Africa.
- Client Orientation to understand, and when appropriate, anticipate client needs, to ensure the clients receive the best possible service from the Bank.
- Ability to communicate and write effectively in French or English, with a good working knowledge of the other language.
- Competence in the use of standard Microsoft Office applications (Word, Excel, Access, PowerPoint); knowledge of SAP is desirable.
Application Closing Date
21st December, 2017.
How to Apply
Interested and qualified candidates should:
Click here to apply online