AfricaRice Jobs: Senior Accountant
The Africa Rice Center (AfricaRice) is seeking a highly qualified Senior Accountant to be based at AfricaRice, Cotonou, Benin.
AfricaRice is one of the 15 international agricultural research Centers that are members of the CGIAR Consortium. It is also an autonomous intergovernmental association of African member countries.
Under the supervision of the Head of Finance, the Senior Accountant will be responsible for monitoring cash flow ; prompt follow up all supplier and other payments, debt collection, including donor and member states receivable amounts, and preparation of all reports thereof, including monthly cash flow statements, coordination of closure transactions.
Specifically, the Senior Accountant will be in charge of the following key results areas (KRA’s):
- In charge of timely closure of monthly transactions for the preparation of the required monthly management reports by ensuring accurate posting of all entries in to Sunsystem as per AfricaRice accounting procedures and coordinating with the team;
- Ensures timely and accurate posting to the General Ledger and preparation of payments for all invoices as per AfricaRice accounting procedures;
- Ensures that the reconciliation of all supplier accounts with the General Ledger are achieved by set targets, and initiates follow up action, including clearing of outstanding purchase orders;
- Recommends replenishment of cash or bank accounts by supervising all cash office operations and reviews the Cash and Bank Reports and Reconciliation on a daily basis;
- Prepares accurate monthly cash flow statements and up‐to‐date funding status reports by following up on all supplier and other payments, debt collection, including donor and member states receivable amounts;
- Ensures the accuracy of accounts and budget coding and signs off the approval on payment vouchers (CVP’s) and relevant journal vouchers by cross checking against the respective approved budget;
- Ensures all accrual, provision and commitments accounts are up to date by reviewing and reconciling these accounts every month; and ensuring that the respective actualized transactions/invoices are correctly posted;
- Coordinates with Operations Unit regarding charge back analysis and allocation for recovery of indirect cost and overheads (e.g. transport, causal labor, communication, Publication, Telecommunications and Laboratory services);
- Ensures the reconciliation of various Balance Sheet accounts related to Treasury;
- Ensures that the review and analysis of balances of staff Provident Fund (PF) contributions in PF database in Sunsystem is done regularly and that payment vouchers and receipts related to PF are properly posted to the PF database, including the preparation of draft accounts for audit purposes;
- Accounting for all Provident Fund transactions in AfricaRice database and reconciling these to the control accounts on a monthly basis;
- Supervises staff under the section.
- Participate on a rotational basis in performing other accounting functions on different areas of Finance as may be required by the supervisor from time to time.
Education and Work Experience:
Master degree in Accounting or Finance, or equivalent qualification with 5 years relevant experience in a professional audit firm or international organization like AfricaRice or
- Intermediate certificate of professional accounting with 10 years’relevant experience
- in a professional audit firm or international organization like AfricaRice, or
- Qualified professional accountants with CPA, ACCA or equivalent and 2 years relevant professional experience.
Key competencies and abilities required: Good communication and organization skills; analytical mind and attention to detail; ability to work effectively under pressure in a multicultural environment.
The ideal candidate must have experience in the use of Sunsystem or any other Financial Accounting software and a high proficiency in use of Ms Excel, Access.
The candidate should communicate fluently (orally and in writing) in English or French with a good working knowledge of the other language.
Terms and Conditions
This is a regionally recruited position.
AfricaRice provides an attractive salary and benefits package and a collegial and gender‐sensitive working environment.
The initial appointment is for two years with the possibility for renewal.
Candidates should send an application (including a cover letter and a detailed CV with the following information: Name, surname, gender, date of birth, family status, nationality, certificates obtained, professional experience (stating clearly beginning and end dates of each experience: day, month, year), language skills (French/English), and the names and addresses (including telephone / fax / email) of three referees.
To apply online for this position, please click on the following web link:
Applications that are not sent on‐line should be sent:
To: A.Kpadonou@cgiar.org with the following mention in subject “Recruitment process‐Senior Accountant”
to the following address: Head, Human Resources Unit, AfricaRice, 01 B.P. 2031, Cotonou, Benin Republic
Applications Deadline: April 5th, 2013.
AfricaRice believes that staff diversity promotes excellence in its operations, and encourages applications from women and developing country professionals.
AfricaRice thanks all applicants but only shortlisted candidates will be contacted.