AfricaRice Jobs: Research Assistant in Water Management
The Africa Rice Center (AfricaRice) is seeking a highly qualified Research Assistant in Water Management to be based at AfricaRice, Cotonou, Benin.
AfricaRice is one of the 15 international agricultural research Centers that are members of the CGIAR Consortium. It is also an autonomous intergovernmental association of African member countries.
Under the supervision of the Water Management Specialist, the Research Assistant in Water Management will:
Be responsible for:
- Conducting hydrology and water management field work;
- Analyzing water use and water resources data;
- Hydrological modeling (SWAT and other similar hydrological models);
- Analyzing Water productivity at different scales;
- Creating and maintaining a water resources and agricultural water use database covering AfricaRice’s member countries;
- Providing technical supports to AfricaRice projects in relation to water management issues;
- Contributing to the Center’s capacity building efforts including backstopping students, trainees, and national partners;
- Contributing to drafting journal articles, conference proceedings and donor reports;
- Undertake any other activities related to water management as required by the Center
Education: Minimum of a Master’s degree in Water Resources, Hydrology, Irrigation or related discipline.
Work Experience: More than 3 years demonstrated experience in Water Management, Hydrology and Irrigation.
Key Competencies and abilities required: Excellent analytical skills; a positive learning attitude; Ability to efficiently work as a member of a multi‐disciplinary team with minimal supervision.
The ideal candidate must have experience conducting hydrological field work, experience using water resource models and knowledge of agricultural water management interventions.
The candidate should communicate fluently (orally and in writing) in English or French with a good working knowledge of the other language.
Terms and Conditions
This is a regionally recruited position.
- AfricaRice provides an attractive salary and benefits package and a collegial and gender‐sensitive working environment.
- The initial appointment is for two years with the possibility for renewal.
Candidates should send an application (including a cover letter and a detailed CV with the following information: Name, surname, gender, date of birth, family status, nationality, certificates obtained, professional experience (stating clearly beginning and end dates of each experience: day, month, year), language skills (French/English), and the names and addresses (including telephone / fax / email) of three referees.
To apply online for this position, please click on the following web link:
Applications that are not sent on‐line should be sent:
To: A.Kpadonou@cgiar.org with the following mention in subject “Recruitment process‐Research Assistant Water Management”
to the following address: Head, Human Resources Unit, AfricaRice, 01 B.P. 2031, Cotonou, Benin Republic
Applications Deadline: April 5th, 2013.
AfricaRice believes that staff diversity promotes excellence in its operations, and encourages applications from women and developing country professionals.
AfricaRice thanks all applicants but only shortlisted candidates will be contacted.