The Regional Universities Forum for Capacity Building in Agriculture (RUFORUM3 ) Secretariat is pleased to announce the fifth round of PhD scholarships available through the German Academic Exchange Services (DAAD) funding support. These scholarships are targeting both in-country/in-region (sub-Saharan Africa) applicants to support selected RUFORUM regional PhD Programmes in the Eastern and Central Africa (ECA). The scholarships are tenable for the 2017/18 academic period. DAAD promotes international academic exchange as well as educational cooperation with developing countries through various funding and scholarship programmes. The PhD training programmes will commence in September 2017; therefore, only candidates available to start the PhD training this September 2017 need to apply.
List of Eligible Programmes/ Study fields
The call is open to students who are interested/ registered in the following programmes:
1) PhD in Life Sciences at Nelson Mandela African Institution of Sciences and Technology – Tanzania ( 2 in-region)
2) PhD in Food Science and Nutrition at Jomo Kenyatta University of Agriculture and Technology – Kenya (1 in-region & 1 in-country)
3) PhD in Plant Breeding & Biotechnology – Makerere University, Uganda(1 in-region & 1 incountry);
4) PhD Agricultural and Rural Innovations at Makerere University, Uganda (1 in-region & 1 incountry)
Applications are invited from qualified candidates in relevant disciplines (the last university degree (MSc) must have been completed less than six years ago at the time of application) from Sub Saharan Africa. Female applicants, candidates from less privileged regions or groups as well as candidates with disabilities are especially encouraged to apply. It is important to note that applicants with other funding sources for their PhD programmes will not be considered for the DAAD/RUFORUM scholarships.
Duration and commencement
The PhD Scholarships are available for a period of three years beginning in September 2017. The scholarships will be initially granted for one year and may be extended upon individual student request and receipt of a complete application by using the attached form provided by DAAD secretariat.
1. Certified copies of all university degree certificates
2. Certified copies of all university transcripts
3. At least temporary admission letter including fee structure of respective course (original or certified copy only), or an official letter assuring admission
4. A Ph.D. research proposal (which must demonstrate relevance to development (the sections should include research area (background, rationale, objectives of the proposed research, proposed Methodology, and expected Results) and a detailed work plan (10 to 15 pages); plagiarism will be checked by DAAD!
5. An abstract of the proposal on one page (please include name and title of proposal)
6. A recommendation letter by head of department indicating that you are a member or prospective member of staff and how you will be integrated into the staff development agenda of the university.
7. Confirmation of study leave from your university (if applicable)
8. Confirmation of teaching release (university staff members only)
9. A letter from the applicant confirming availability to start PhD studies in September 2017 at the host university IV.
1. All applications must be received in RIMS by end of day on 20th February 2017
2. RUFORUM to complete the Pre- selection for scholarship by 27th February 2017
3. ONLY pre-selected candidates will be directed to DAAD online portal by RUFORUM to provide additional information which will be used for final selection of successful scholars – deadline is strictly 22nd March 2017
4. DAAD will carry out final selection of scholarships will be carried out by May 2017
5. Scholarship start date : 1st September 2017
1. Candidates must apply online for scholarships via the online RUFORUM Information Management System (RIMS): http://rims.ruforum.org/ [See Section VII below – How to apply for a scholarship via RIMS]
2. Candidates should attach copies of admission letter from the host University of Interest. If not already admitted please See Section VIII How to download the host university application forms
3. For any urgent inquiries please email: [email protected] with a copy to [email protected]
How to submit a scholarship application via RIMS
1. After successfully logging on click ‘Apply for a Scholarship’
2. Choose correct call ID which is DAAD/PhD/2017
3. Complete the online application form