Vegan Baked Cabbage Rolls stuffed with flavorful chickpeas, topped with tomato sauce, and baked to perfection in the oven.
In these Vegan Baked Cabbage Rolls, chickpeas take the place of meat, and there are no eggs or egg replacer needed. Just boil the cabbage leaves, cook and mash the chickpeas, roll, and bake in plenty of your favorite tomato sauce. You can use store-bought or homemade tomato sauce for this recipe. here’s a good recipe you can use, If you’d like to make your own.
- 8 cabbage leaves
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1/2 cup onions, chopped
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1 3/4 cups tomato sauce, divided
- 1 1/2 cups cooked chickpeas (or 1 15-ounce can)
- Preheat the oven to 350F.
- Bring a small pot of water to a boil. Add the cabbage leaves, and cook for 3 minutes. Set the leaves aside to cool.
- Use the same pot to heat the oil over medium heat. Add the onion and garlic, and cook, stirring, for a few minutes, until the onions turn translucent. Add the cumin and cook, stirring for another minute. Add 1/4 cup of the tomato sauce and all of the chickpeas, and cook for just a couple of minutes, to marry the flavors.
- Use a fork to mash the chickpea mixture.
- Pour 1/2 cup of the remaining tomato sauce into the bottom of an 8×8″ glass pan. Spread the sauce, so it covers the whole bottom of the pan.
- Now, it’s time to roll the cabbage! Place 2 heaping tablespoons of the chickpea mixture into the middle of a cabbage leaf. Roll it up, like a burrito, making sure that you tuck the ends in, so no filling leaks out (see the video). Place the roll into the pan with the seam down, so it won’t open up. You can secure with a toothpick, if you’re having trouble keeping the rolls closed. Repeat this step with the remaining cabbage leaves.
- Pour the remaining tomato sauce over the rolled cabbage. Bake for 30 minutes, then remove the pan from the oven. Let the cabbage rolls sit for 10 minutes before serving.