We work with other organizations, governments, non-profits and a variety of local partners while maintaining our own independence without political agenda or religious orientation. Save the Children’s mission is to Inspire breakthroughs in the way the world treats children and to achieve immediate and lasting change in their lives.
We are recruiting to fill the position below:
Job Title: Field Assistant (Volunteer)
- Save the Children International is a ‘dual mandate’ organisation and as such equal priority will be given to both humanitarian and development work.
- This is the only way we will be able to ensure that some of the fundamental rights that we believe children have, such as survival, safety and constant access to protection and education can be guaranteed.
- As part of a commitment to work with children through humanitarian interventions Save the Children will support programmes in both sudden onset and chronic emergency situations.
- To support implementation of FSL component of project.
Program Support (typically will be at field level):
- Conduct community sensitization and mobilization with regards to FFP voucher program.
- Ensure community leaders are briefed about the program and expectation.
- Work with community leaders to establish communities in collaboration with IDP/Community leadership.
- Sensitization of leadership structures (community committees) formed on program objective, beneficiary targeting, and selection and eligibility criteria.
- To Work alongside community leaders and committees to identify beneficiaries, who will be registered and enrolled on the program using structured form on kobo.
- Conduct baseline survey for selected beneficiaries using structured questionnaire on kobo platform.
- Ensure community leaders and formed committees are sensitized on voucher system and entitlement from the program.
- Sensitize selected vendor on the program specially the E-voucher system and involvement in the program.
- Ensure both the beneficiaries and vendors are assisted during voucher transfer transactions.
- Conduct monthly market monitoring across markets in Maiduguri from traders both program and non-program vendors.
- Conduct post distribution monitoring from sample of beneficiaries after voucher transfer.
- Any other duties that may be duties assigned related to implementation of FFP program in Maiduguri.
- Comply with Save the Children policies and practice with respect to child protection, code of conduct, health and safety, equal opportunities and other relevant policies and procedures.
Understanding humanitarian contexts and application of humanitarian principles:
- Ensures that programme goals and activities uphold the principles of the key national and international humanitarian frameworks, codes and commitments
- Integrates beneficiary accountability principles into the approach
- Participates in disaster coordination mechanisms and interagency cooperation
Achieving results effectively:
- Ensures efficient and transparent use of resources in accordance with internal controls
- Addresses difficult situations and makes tough decisions confidently and calmly
- Considers the wider impact of decisions to be made in the short and long-term.
- Continuously provides feedback and updates to achieve improved results
- Coordinates with stakeholders to avoid duplication and maximise resources
- Documents lessons learned and applies them to future projects
Maintaining and developing collaborative relationships:
- Actively listens to different perspectives and experiences of stakeholders
- Actively participates in networks to access and contribute to good practice
- Establishes and maintains clear communication and dialogue with disaster and conflict affected people and other stakeholders
- Establishes clear objectives with teams and individuals and monitors progress and performance
Operating safely and securely:
- Identifies and communicates risk and threats and minimises these for oneself and the agency
- Takes measures to do no harm and to minimise risks for partners and the communities
- Reduces vulnerability by complying with safety and security protocols set by the organisation
- Demonstrates an understanding of wider UN/NGO security coordination and how the organisation can benefit from, and contribute to, those mechanisms
Managing yourself in a pressured and changing environment:
- Remains effective and retains perspective in the face of difficult or demanding situations
- Demonstrates personal integrity by using one’s position responsibly and fairly
- Maintains ethical and professional behaviour in accordance with relevant codes of conduct
- Plans, prioritises and performs tasks well under pressure
- Takes responsibility for own work and for the impact of own actions
Leadership: Action; Thinking; Self; Inspiring; Developing Others:
- Builds own awareness of the bigger global picture by using a broad range of sources to gather data
- Demonstrates approachability and trust by listening carefully to others and valuing their contribution, and making others feel comfortable by being open and honest about their thoughts and feelings
- Demonstrates self-development and management by taking responsibility for own development, and actively seeking out feedback to better understand their own strengths and weaknesses
- Makes positive statements about work
- Effectively influences others by understanding their interests and showing how they will be met by own preferred solution
- Gives constructive feedback to enhance capabilities and responsibilities to another for the purpose of his/her development
Qualifications & Experience
- Education – B.Sc/B.Agric level or any other relevant subject or equivalent field experience.
- A high level of written and spoken English
- Excellent communication and strong influencing skills
- Ability to write clear and well-argued assessment and project reports
- Politically and culturally sensitive with qualities of patience, tact and diplomacy
- The capacity and willingness to be extremely flexible and accommodating in difficult and sometimes insecure working circumstances.
- Commitment to the aims and principles of SC. In particular, a good understanding of the SC mandate and child focus and an ability to ensure this continues to underpin our support
Application Closing Date
17th July, 2017.
Method of Application
Interested and qualified candidates should:
Click here to apply online
Note: Due to the urgency to fill this position applications will be assessed as they are received and only shortlisted candidates will be contacted.