We are recruiting to fill the position below:
Job Title: Agricultural Coordinator (MAIDA)
Location: Maiduguri, Borno
Program / Department Summary
The MAIDA programme will directly support the recovery of at least 70,000 women, men, girls and boys who are returnees, IDPs and members of host communities affected by the Boko Haram insurgency in southern and central Borno State. The objective of MAIDA is to increase the social cohesion and resilience to economic, social and climate related shocks in Borno State in an environmentally-conscious way. Four interrelated and mutually reinforcing intermediate outcomes will contribute to achieving this objective.
First, MAIDA will restore and improve rural livelihoods in an ecologically sustainable manner by enabling households to take advantage of existing and new agricultural market opportunities. In parallel, adolescents and youth will be empowered as economic actors in their communities through access to employment, diversified livelihood opportunities, vocational training and business development initiatives. These outcomes will be reinforced by improved access to social protection and community-based services for women, youth, adolescent breadwinners and other at-risk groups.
Finally, overall social cohesion will be strengthened within and between conflict-affected communities and environmental resource management will be improved in areas of displacement and return. Sectors of intervention will include market-led and climate-smart livelihood and employment opportunities, vocational training for youth, social and economic protection and community reintegration and peacebuilding. Economic recovery activities will build resilience through Making Markets Work for the Poor (M4P) market systems-based models, reducing poverty by enhancing the ways that poor and vulnerable households interact with markets.
General Position Summary
- The Agricultural Coordinator will oversee all agricultural activities under Output One of the programme, including the provision of grants and inputs vouchers, rehabilitation and formation of agriculture, and livestock cooperatives and linkage of farmers and livestock producers to upstream value chains and financial services.
- The Agricultural Coordinator will also build the capacity of agricultural extension workers to train farmers to diversify their crops to improve household nutrition security.
- The Agricultural Coordinator will promote climate-sensitive agriculture techniques and methodologies and promote gender sensitivity and equity in all programme activities.
- S/he will work closely with Mercy Corps team members mobilizing community groups and Mercy Corps partners.
Essential Job Responsibilities
- Coordinate with the Community Mobilization Team to identify potential beneficiaries, existing agriculture and livestock cooperatives and informal agricultural savings and credit associations in order to promote rural rehabilitation and secure the livelihoods of farmers and livestock producers.
- Rehabilitate farmer and livestock associations where possible and organize farmers and livestock producers into groups that can become farmer associations in the future.
- Conduct community agriculture needs assessments as and when required.
- Build the capacities of partner organizations’ Agriculture Extension Officers in the areas of resilient agriculture techniques and gender inclusion.
- Demonstrate agro-techniques to Agriculture Extension Officers and farmers including land preparation, seed cultivation, irrigation, weed control, pest control, crop rotation, et cetera.
- Identify different varieties of agriculture crops and crop adaptation for onward dissemination to farmer associations and Agriculture Extension Officers.
- Support the establishment of innovation and demonstration farms that become models and extension education tools in the target areas.
- When the security situation allows it, perform training sessions in the field and provide TOT to Community Mobilizers and Agriculture Extension Officers in coordination with BOSADP.
- Conduct routine market surveys to better define marketing strategies and connect farmers and livestock producers to upstream value chains. Document and file surveys.
- Support access to finance for farmers and livestock producers through the Bank of Agriculture (when possible) and through the formation of Village Savings and Loan Associations where access to the Bank of Agriculture is not feasible.
- Support the selection of beneficiaries eligible to receive agricultural input cash grants or vouchers.
- Network with and monitor chosen agricultural input suppliers and vendors to ensure appropriate and consistent stocking of inputs for voucher redemption.
- Produce reports, including spreadsheets, reflecting voucher and cash grant distribution, geographic area, number of beneficiaries and any other information relevant to the programme.
- Monitor and evaluate effectiveness of activities and make recommendations for improvements.
- Conduct him/herself both professionally and personally in such a manner as to bring credit to Mercy Corps and not jeopardize its humanitarian mission in Nigeria.
- Carry out any other duties as assigned.
- As part of our commitment to organizational learning and in support of our understanding that learning organizations are more effective, efficient and relevant to the communities they serve, we expect all team members to commit 5% of their time to learning activities that benefit Mercy Corps as well as themselves.
- Ensure compliance with security procedures and policies as determined by country leadership.
- Proactively ensure that team members operate in a secure environment and are aware of policies.
- Work closely with Mercy Corps Nigeria country team’s security focal point to develop and maintain systems that ensure the safety and security of the team in all aspects of its implementation process.
Accountability to Beneficiaries
- Mercy Corps team members are expected to support all efforts toward accountability, specifically to our beneficiaries and to international standards guiding international relief and development work, while actively engaging beneficiary communities as equal partners in the design, monitoring and evaluation of our field projects.
Knowledge and Experience
- Minimum of a B.Sc in Agriculture or a related field (e.g: agronomy, animal science, horticulture, agro-economics etc). M.Sc. in relevant field preferred.
- Minimum of 4 years of relevant experience working on the direct implementation of agriculture rehabilitation and development activities required.
- Ability to work independently in the field and show initiative.
- Experience in farmer and community group mobilization.
- Strong interpersonal and communication skills; ability to develop good relationships with target communities.
- Experience representing the organization and its interests to a diverse range of local stakeholders, private sector actors, the Government and partners.
- Excellent oral, written and computer skills.
- Fluency in English, Kanuri and Hausa essential.
- The ability to interact effectively with international and national personnel is required.
- A demonstrated ability to multi-task, meet deadlines and process information in support of changing program activities is necessary.
- The most successful Mercy Corps staff members have a strong commitment to teamwork and accountability, thrive in evolving and changing environments and make effective written and verbal communication a priority in all situations.
- Mercy Corps team members represent the agency both during and outside work hours.
- Team members are expected to conduct themselves in a professional manner and respect local laws, customs and MC’s policies, procedures, and values at all times and in all in-country venues.
Application Closing Date
4th August, 2017.
How to Apply
Interested and qualified candidates should send their CV’s and Cover Letter in one document, addressing the position requirements to: firstname.lastname@example.org All applications must include the position title in the subject line, be not more than four pages.
Note: Only short-listed candidates will be contacted for interview and we are an equal opportunity organization so women are strongly encouraged to apply for this position.