Effective with the release of this position announcement, Winrock International will be recruiting applicants for Cassava Value Chain Manager. The responsibilities, duties and qualifications for this position are described in the attached job description.
Winrock International, a US based not-for profit- organization, is currently working in Nigeria on a USAID funded project focused on expanding economic opportunities in the agricultural sector by increasing agricultural productivity, enhancing value-added processing, and increasing commercialization through private-sector led and market-driven growth and development. This position is contingent on donor approval and we do not guarantee a position will be funded.
Winrock International is a non-profit corporation whose mission is to work with the poor and disadvantaged in the United States and around the world to help them increase long term productivity, equity and sustainable resource management. Program emphasis includes agriculture and rural development, forestry and natural resource management, rural enterprise and employment, renewable energy, and women’s leadership. Over 100 projects are underway in forty developing countries and the United States.
The Cassava Value Chain Manager shall coordinate all programmatic activities related to the cassava value chain including:
- Provide constant supervision on the program’s technical assistance activities including on-farm demonstrations, training activities and pilot activities that will improve both competitiveness at the farm level and efficiency and effectiveness of raw material supply to processors
- Liaison with agro-processors and client firms to assist with planning, implementation and monitoring of cassava specific activities
- Develop in collaboration with client agro-processors conditions for outgrower contracts and arrangements that are acceptable for both sides (outgrowers and client agro-processing firms).
- Supervise on-farm demonstrations on improved technologies and new practices required by specific buyer(s) to improve competitiveness at the farm level, assist with development of training materials and training in collaboration with private service providers hired by the project.
- In collaboration with the client agro-processors, assist in linking outgrowers to inputs (tractor services, fertilizers, crop protection products etc.) when necessary.
- Assist client agro-processing firms with the development of harvesting, collection and transport plans that minimize costs and risks.
- In addition to technical tasks, the Cassava Value Chain Manager will assist with M&E activities, drafting scopes of work and providing inputs for quarterly reports and work planning exercises.
QUALIFICATIONS AND BACKGROUND:
- Advanced degree in agronomy, agricultural economics or related discipline.
- 10+ years of professional experience in extension work, training and institutional linkages.
- Demonstrated experience in cassava or cocoa production and processing and market-led agricultural development is a must.
- Experience in developing and promoting environmentally sustainable agricultural production and processing techniques is desired.
- Knowledge of commodity value chain development is a strong advantage.
- Demonstrated ability to provide technical and marketing assistance to farmers and agro-processors is desirable.
- Ability to work collaboratively, and build alliances with relevant groups, organizations, agencies, businesses, private or public sectors is highly important. High level of initiative and creativity.
Other: S/he must be a team player, able to work effectively with people of diverse backgrounds and cultures.
SALARY AND BENEFITS:
The annual salary range will be commensurate with qualifications and experience. Position also includes benefits.
How to Apply
Click here to apply http://tbe.taleo.net/NA12/ats/careers/requisition.jsp?org=WINROCK&cws=1&rid=399
or Applicants may go to Winrock’s Job Page at www.winrock.org. Search under location “INTL” for the Cassava Value Chain Manager position description and complete the on-line application and upload your CV and cover letter.
Only qualified candidates will be contacted by Winrock.
Application deadline is September 10, 2012