We are recruiting to fill the position below:
Job Title: Senior Research Economist (Impact Evaluation)
Location: Côte d’Ivoire
Position N°: 50093677
- The Chief Economist/Vice-President for Economic Governance and Knowledge Management is the Bank’s spokesperson on economic matters and the Vice President for the ‘Economics Governance and Knowledge Management Complex’.
- The Chief Economist/Vice-President for Economic Governance and Knowledge Management is responsible for (i) providing leadership and visibility for the Bank on economic, finance, financial governance and socio economic development issues; and coordinate the generation of analytical works to inform operational policy; (ii) systematically emphasize the critical role of knowledge, experience, lessons learnt and their tangible impact on sustainable, inclusive transformation of African economies.
- The Chief Economist/Vice-President for Economic Governance and Knowledge Management will inspire, generate and provide direct support to the President and Senior Management of the Bank on a broad range of technical and management issues within the broad remit of economic, finance, public financial governance, management and social economics.
The Hiring Department / Division
- The Macroeconomics Policy, Forecasting And Research Department is dedicated to the generation of high quality knowledge in the area of development in Africa. It provides technical support to operations and regional member countries through rigorous analytical work; engages in impactful policy dialogue with decision-making bodies within and outside of the Bank; and most importantly enhance the operational effectiveness of the Bank in achieving the High 5s.
- The activities of the department are structured around the Macroeconomic Policy, Debt Sustainability and Forecasting on one side, and the Microeconomics, Institutional and Development Impact on the other.
- The Microeconomic, Institutional and Development Impact Division focuses on microeconomic issues related to development finance, infrastructure development, private sector development, industrial organizations, governance, competitiveness & investment climate, agriculture, institutions, and regional integration to support the High 5s.
- In addition, the Microeconomic, Institutional and Development Impact Division is the institutional anchor of the ex-ante Additionality and Development Outcome Assessment and Impact Evaluation of the Bank’s operations, as such it is a key element of the Bank Results Framework and the primary tool for mainstreaming Development Outcomes.
- The Senior Research Economist-Impact Evaluation is part of Impact Evaluation team and specifically contribute in developing an Impact Evaluation culture and contribute to Impact Evaluation exercises and research work:
Duties and Responsibilities
Under the general supervision of the Division Manager of the Microeconomic, Institutional and Development Impact Division, the Senior Research Economist will:
- Contribute to Impact Evaluation exercises on Bank operations and provide input in other team members’ Impact Evaluation work in the Division.
- Contribute in research activities in the areas supporting the Bank’s High five (5’s) priority areas: Light Up and Power Africa (Energy), Feed Africa (Agriculture and Nutrition), Industrialize Africa (Industrialization), Integrate Africa (Regional Integration) and Improve quality of live for Africans (Sustainable socio-economic development)).
- Provide inputs into the production of the Bank’s flagship publications:
- Contribute to the preparation of the report or assigned section, writing assigned sections and follow it (peer reviews) until the publication.
- Disseminate the findings of reports.
- Provide technical and analytical inputs into the work of Operations Complexes:
- Provide input into Country Strategy Papers .
- Participate in Economic Sector Works .
- Participate in the peer review process of project, program, policy documents, including documents submitted to the Operations Committee.
- Contribute to Bank Economic Intelligence documents:
- Provide economic intelligence (statement, policy briefs) to Senior Management on economic development issues.
- Contribute knowledge in the Bank’s “Working Papers Series ” and the Bank’s “African Development Review”:
- Publish research papers and review submitted articles to the African Development Review and Working Paper Series.
- Participate in collaborative research and knowledge management activities carried out jointly with regional and international organizations, research and capacity building institutions in Africa, development research centers and universities.
- Review operation documents and participate in review meetings.
- Perform other duties as may be assigned by the Supervisor or Management.
Including desirable skills, knowledge and experience:
- Have at least a Ph.D. in Economics or related Social Sciences;
- Have a minimum of five (5) years’ experience in Impact Evaluation of operations or Experimental Economics in the High 5s areas including the following: infrastructure including energy, agriculture, private sector development, industrial organizations and social sectors, project analysis and/or monitoring and evaluation.
- Publication record in international peer reviewed journals, working papers, book chapters, reports, etc.
- Good knowledge and background in the use of statistical and econometric methods and packages in project evaluation, finance and development economics research;
- Proven ability in development policy research and analysis of economic conditions that are of relevance for the High 5s (Bank priority areas).
- Ability to design and conduct research projects/programs
- Proven skills in drafting and preparation of policy memoranda, speeches and notes for use in decision making processes.
- Communicate and write effectively in French or English, with a good working knowledge of the other language;
- Competence in the use of leading econometrics software packages and in Microsoft Suites (Word, PowerPoint, Excel and Access).
Application Closing Date
15th June, 2017.
How to Apply
Interested and qualified candidates should:
Click here to apply online