We are recruiting to fill the position below:
Job Title: Senior Research Analyst and Project/Partnership Coordination Investment Officer
Location: Côte d’Ivoire
Position N°: 50093668
- The Vice Presidency for ‘Agriculture, Human, and Social Development’ is a Sector Complex focusing on the Bank’s Ten Year Strategy High 5s priority of “Feed Africa” and “Improve Quality of Life for People in Africa”.
- The complex objectives are:
- To develop, policy and strategy;
- Provide deep sector expertise to the Regions by gathering pool of experienced individuals who can be consulted to provide sector expertise on complex transactions;
- Develop new financing instruments;
- The Vice President will act as the spokesperson to represent the Bank with external stakeholders on aspects of “Feed Africa” and Improve Quality of Life for People in Africa”.
The Hiring Department
- The Agriculture Finance and Rural Development Department works closely with the Agriculture and Agro-Industry Department and the Regional Directorates to provide support for the delivery of Feed Africa: Strategy for Agricultural Transformation in Africa, 2016-2025.
- The core mandate of Agriculture Finance and Rural Development (AHFR) Department is to develop the strategy of the Bank related to agricultural and rural finance and rural development, represent the Bank with external stakeholders, provide sector expertise to the regions by gathering experts who can be consulted by operations and closing the financing gap for private sector-led development of agricultural value chains.
- The Department is to mobilize and deploy the required expertise; and, provide support the design and implementation of agricultural finance and rural development operations for key commodity value chains.
- The Agriculture Finance and Rural Development Department is structured into two Divisions:
- Agriculture and Rural Finance Division; and
- Rural Infrastructure Development Division.
The main objectives of the Senior Research Analyst and Project/Partnership Coordination Officer are:
- Lead support to the Department on value chain development, high-productivity agriculture and value adding Micro, Small and Medium Enterprises in rural areas with a specific focus on women and youth agri-enterprises;
- Monitor and report on the implementation of the interventions of the Department and their contribution to Feed Africa and action plan.
- Participate in undertaking research on strategic investment opportunities, especially in the areas of agriculture and agro-industry, agricultural development, public-private partnership using quantitative techniques/methods
- Participate in the writing, reviewing and editing of briefs for Senior Management on research development issues for presentation or discussion in regional and international forums
Duties and Responsibilities
The Senior Research Analyst and Project/Partnership Coordination Officer under the oversight of the Director Agricultural Finance & Rural Development Department is responsible for:
- Conduct desk review and background research for investment opportunities in key value chains;
- Supervise budget preparation and follow its execution, and advise senior management on the budgetary and financial impacts of the Department’s operations;
- Review all reports and papers prepared by the Divisions and give appropriate guidance;
- Provide technical assistance to investment funds and other non-banking financial institutions that offer equity and working capital finance to agricultural value chains;
- Identify debt and equity investments in Agriculture Micro, Small and Medium Enterprises and investment / impact and investment funds / equity funds in Agriculture Micro, Small and Medium Enterprises (agricultural finance and innovative financing);
- Identify a strong pipeline of potential in Agriculture Micro, Small and Medium Enterprises to initiate new debt and equity investments, follow up on new business opportunities, and liaise extensively with potential clients on the African continent and beyond;
- Support existing portfolio investments including strategic and value-add activities with portfolio company management and co-investors;
- Enhance project implementation quality, timeliness and integrity through developing and implementing controls that minimize slippages;
- Develop and implement performance monitoring and evaluation systems and reporting activities (including Key Performance Indicators) to enable transparent assessment of agriculture value chain financing outcomes and impacts, both for internal and external circulation.
2.) People Management:
- Supervise a team of professional level and support staff in providing efficient and high quality services that support the business. Set realistic performance goals and motivate team members to meet them, both for individual staff and for the team as whole;
- Assess the training needs of staff in the Regional Directorates and Country Offices, monitor and evaluate their performance, and recommend personnel actions to the Division Manager;
- Be a collaborative member of the Divisional Team, contribute and share expertise and input and foster a collegial environment.
- Build strong relationship management and understand the business needs to assist in developing practical and effective solutions;
- Manage the efficient use of the financial and human resources. On the technical front the work requires analytical and strategic skills, as well as personal knowledge and practical experience in the main areas of Bank intervention.
- Ensure high-quality output within available resources, by making the best use of its human, financial and technological assets, and by monitoring and enforcing efficiency targets;
- Supervise complex project identification, preparation and appraisal for Bank Group financing and verify quality of the projects;
4.) Staff Engagement:
- Leading People: Serve as a role model, leading by example, builds alignment and commitment. Is courageous in challenging others to move the Bank forward;
- Promote collaboration and facilitate teamwork across teams and across organizational units;
- Maintain a high standard of professional integrity, treat individuals fairly and respectively and be sensitive to differences across culture, nationalities and gender.
5.) Corporate Communication:
- Ensure effective communication between the management and staff of the Bank, the authorities of member countries, officials from other organizations;
- Monitor best practice in the field and, as appropriate, liaise with counterparts in other organization.
- Performs other duties assigned by the supervisor.
Including Desirable Skills, Knowledge and Experience:
- Hold at least a Master’s Degree or its equivalent in Finance or closely related disciplines.
- Have a minimum of five (5) years of relevant professional experience in the area of investment banking, consulting or private equity/venture capital, and 3 years working on the topic in a managerial capacity in an international bilateral/multilateral institution;
- Sound experience with debt and/or equity investments in developing markets, venture investing and emerging countries including a satisfactory knowledge of their operational policies and procedures;
- Proven leadership in matters relating to negotiating and structuring debt and equity transactions, technical review of reports and consultation with other financiers, among others;
- Knowledge of Africa and the rural development needs, opportunities, development challenges and possible solutions;
- Comprehensively understands projects structures, including project planning, risk management strategy, communication management strategy, lessons learned and handover, and other critical success factors, strategies, policies, procedures and practices of other similar institutions;
- Acute knowledge and understanding of the elements essential for the effective delivery and measurement of development impacts through agricultural investments in Africa;
- Highly developed negotiation skills proven to yield positive outcomes with senior counterparts, both internal and external;
- Knowledgeable in the execution and structuring of debt and equity investments in the assigned sector projects and programs;
- Networking ability required to build successful relationships and partnerships with a broad range of clients, internal and external, for effective delivery of results. Prudence and skill in identification of such relationships and partners based on meeting the needs and long-term interests of…