We are recruiting to fill the position below:
Job Title: Principal Finance Administration and Resources Management Officer
Location: Côte d’Ivoire
Position N°: 50071184
- The Vice Presidency for ‘Agriculture, Human, and Social Development’ is a Sector Complex focusing on the Bank’s Ten Year Strategy High 5s priority of “Feed Africa” and “Improve Quality of Life for the People of Africa”.
- The complex objectives are (i) to develop, policy and strategy; (ii) provide deep sector expertise to the Regions by gathering pools of experienced individuals who can be consulted to provide sector expertise on complex transactions; (iii) develop new financing instruments; (iv) the Vice President will act as the spokesperson to represent the Bank with external stakeholders on aspects of “Feed Africa” and “Improve Quality of Life for the People of Africa”.
The Hiring Department / Division
- The Water Development and Sanitation Department is part of the Agriculture, Human and Social Development Department Complex. The Department is responsible for the coordination of the Bank’s water development and sanitation-related activities to enhance synergies and contribute to achievement of all High 5s (Light Up and Power Africa, Feed Africa, Industrialize Africa, Integrate Africa, and Improve the Quality of Life for the People of Africa).
- Through its two Divisions: Division.l for Water Coordination and Partnerships; and Division.2 for Water Security and Sanitation, and the African Water Facility, the Department also supports regional hubs in the development and promotion of new knowledge, approaches and tools for green and inclusive water resources development and management, and for improved sanitation. In so doing, the Department leads the scaling-up of the Bank’s contribution to Africa’s efforts to attain water security and sanitation for sustainable socio-economic transformation.
- The African Water Facility is an initiative of the African Minister’s Council on Water to mobilize resources from donors to finance water sector facilitation and investment activities in Africa.
- The Facility has been established within the context of the Africa Water Vision and the Millennium Development Goals (now replaced by Sustainable Development Goal). The African Development Bank is hosting the Facility at the request of African Minister’s Council on Water.
- The resources of the African Water Facility are primarily allocated to water resources projects and programs focused on providing support to improve the enabling environment for sustainable national and regional water resources management, prepare projects and programs for immediate capital investments, and provide direct resources for strategic direct small-scale investments.
- The core activities of the African Water Facility are to process and manage projects in the above areas in all African countries, undertake studies on issues regarding the water sector development, and provide advice and technical assistance to African Countries.
- The African Water Facility currently manages a €143 million project portfolio shared all over Africa. The Finance Administration and Resources Management Officer is responsible for the financial, administrative reporting, resources management of the fund and backstopping smooth functioning and delivery of activities of the Facility.
- The objective is to provide support to the African Water Facility with execution of its finance, administration and resources management tasks required for efficient and effective management of the African Water Facility and its strategy. The position will support the planning, implementation and provision of the reporting documents for donors, governing council and the Bank to ensure good governance, resources mobilisation and fulfilling of the Bank’s trusteeship responsibility. The incumbent will also supports the organisation of workshops, events and meetings related to the African Water Facility’s activities.
Duties and Responsibilities
- The Finance Administration and Resources Management Officer is responsible for (i) carrying out the financial monitoring of the African Water Facility; (ii) preparing the reporting documents required for the donors and the Bank; and (iii) assisting in the coordination of the administrative tasks linked to the management of the African Water Facility. The tasks include, among others, the following:
Financial management and Resource Mobilisation:
Budgeting and budget management for the African Water Facility by:
- Designing financial monitoring tools;
- Liaising with the financial control department in preparing the African Water Facility financial statements;
- Capturing the African Water Facility financial flows in and out of the fund and reconcile;
- Analysing the financial statements and accounts of the African Water Facility;
- Supporting the conduct of the African Water Facility annual external Audit; and
- Supporting the African Water Facility donor reporting as fulfilment of part of the grant conditions.
- Supporting all aspects of resource mobilisation of the African Water Facility including contribution to documents and reports and proposals; organisation of events; and participation in conferences and meetings.
AWF policy/strategy and procurement support:
- Contributing to all aspects of the African Water Facility policy/strategy development, review and implementation.
- Support staff that conducts procurement processes, such as the recruitment of consultants and experts through preparation and review of Terms of References, draft contracts and facilitating the establishment of the recruitment in accordance with the African Water Facility procedures and Bank’s rules.
- Liaison with the appropriate procurement colleagues in obtaining necessary clearances, opinion as well as necessary follow up needed.
- Ensure effective implementation of the African Water Facility annual work program.
- Assist in managing contracts for the service providers (for publications, experts, venues), ensuring effective contract management and their successful closure.
- Organizing the preparation of workshops, training and meetings relating to the African Water Facility work program and activities.
- Designing projects financial monitoring tools.
- Recruiting the project auditors for African Water Facility projects.
- Assessing the financial management of the projects through project supervision reports.
African Water Facility (AWF) Administration:
Support the administrative management of the African Water Facility by:
- Organizing the preparation of the various committees and governing meetings involved in the African Water Facility governance;
- Managing the African Water Facility documents reporting process to the various governing structures (Board of Directors, Governing Council, Oversight Committee);
- Addressing the internal requests (President, Vice-presidents, Directors);
- Preparing the recruitment documents and follow-up the recruitment process; and supporting the African Water Facility on staffing issues in consultation with Human Resources Management Department;
- Ensuring quality control over the African Water Facility publications, letters and activities through reviews and contributions.
- Perform any other duties as may be requested by the Supervisor.
Including desirable skills, knowledge and experience:
- Hold at least a Master’s degree or its equivalent in Business Administration, Finance or related discipline.
- A professional accounting qualification will be an added advantage.
- Have a minimum of six (6) years of relevant experience, of which at least 5 in a related field of work (e.g. public/project finance and administration).
- Proven experience in applying experienced level of administration and finance generalist knowledge to deliver full scope of policy/strategic services in line with the African Water Facility and Bank’s strategy needs/situation.
- Effective consulting and advisory skills that enable clients and help them build their confidence and skills to deal with administration and finance issues.
- Demonstrated ability to take initiatives, to synthetize, to conceptualize complex issues and to write reporting documents.
- Ability to deal with sensitive issues in a multi-cultural environment and to build effective working relations with colleagues.
- Knowledge of development issues relating to Africa and water and sanitation sector would be an advantage.
- Ability to communicate effectively (written and oral) in English or French. A working knowledge of the other will be an…