The Africa Rice Center (AfricaRice) is seeking a highly qualified Land and Water Management Specialist to be based in Liberia within the framework of the first phase of the World Bank–funded West Africa Agricultural Productivity Program (WAAPP) in collaboration with Central Agriculture Research Institute (CARI) of Liberia.
AfricaRice is one of the 15 international agricultural research Centers that are members of the CGIAR Consortium. It is also an autonomous intergovernmental association of African member countries.
This position involves all aspects of leading a research program on land and water management in Liberia. The Land and Water Management specialist will report to the Project Coordinator and contribute to the land development and water management section of CARI in Liberia.
The Land and Water Management expert will:
- Provide guidance to the development and deployment of integrated water management strategies from field to basin scale to achieve more effective use of rain and irrigation water resources in rice-based farming systems;
- Evaluate low-cost appropriate community-level water management techniques (bunding, leveling, irrigation, etc.) in inland valleys to optimize rice-based farming systems in participation with farmers and farmer organizations and develop tools for scaling-out of results obtained;
- Implement training for research and extension staff on water management and land development in lowlands in Liberia;
- Provide technical specifications and guidance for lowland development and training in land and water management programs in Liberia in general;
- Support and contribute to training of MSc and PhD students and supervise support staff
- Provide support and advice to other AfricaRice projects where irrigation and water management issues are relevant;
- Develop annual work plans and budgets in consultation with the Project Leader, and CARI Director;
- Contribute to the Center’s resource mobilization efforts;
- Publish research results in peer reviewed journals and other relevant outlets;
- Undertake any other activities related to water management activities as deemed necessary by the AfricaRice project coordinator.
Education: a Ph.D. degree in hydrology / water resources management with a strong background in agriculture, environment and natural resource management
Working experience: More than five years working experience in land development and water management, preferably in Africa
Key Competencies Required: Strong background in irrigation management and techniques used in rice production under various climatic conditions; demonstrated ability to work in a multidisciplinary team.
Language: the candidate should communicate fluently (orally and in writing) in English with a good working knowledge of French.
Terms and Conditions
o This is an Internationally Recruited position.
o AfricaRice provides attractive international salary and benefits package and a collegial and gender-sensitive working environment.
o The appointment is for two years with possibility for renewal
Candidates should send an application (including a cover letter and a detailed CV with the following information: Name, surname, gender, date of birth, family status, nationality, certificates obtained, professional experience, language skills (French/English), and the names and addresses (including telephone / fax / email) of three referees.
To apply online for this position, please click on the following web link:
Applications that are not sent on-line should be forwarded to the following address:
Head, Human Resources Unit,
AfricaRice, 01 B.P. 2031, Cotonou, Benin Republic.