Position: Postdoctoral Fellow (Agronomy, Crop Physiology)
The Postdoctoral Fellow (Agronomy, Crop Physiology or related field) will be involved in legume and maize agronomy with emphasis on developing appropriate agronomic practices to increase and sustain productivity for targeted environments and cropping systems. More specifically, he/she will:
- Screen and identify legume and maize genotypes with end-user preferred traits for targeted environments and cropping systems;
- Develop and facilitate the dissemination of natural resource management technologies that increase productivity in a sustainable manner;
- Integrate appropriate legume and maize varieties into predominate cropping systems and adapt to farmer circumstances using participatory approaches;
- Generate knowledge to facilitate the effective management of ecosystems, social systems, and commodity chains; • Increase research efficiency and effectiveness by enhancing the capacity of national programs to generate and promote improved technologies;
- Publish findings from research results in peer-reviewed journals and disseminate through participation in international conferences and meetings
Minimum Qualification & Experience:
The candidate must have a PhD in Agronomy, Crop Physiology or related field.
Skills and Abilities:
- Knowledge and skill in crop production, management and cropping systems;
- Knowledge in soil plant relationships;
- Demonstrated ability to write and publish journal articles;
- Ability to work independently in a multidisciplinary and multi-cultural environment;
- Excellent spoken and written English. Working knowledge with Portuguese would be an advantage;
- Working knowledge of Sub-Saharan Africa, especially Southern Africa.
Terms and Condition:
Initial appointment is for two years starting as soon as possible. IITA offers a competitive remuneration package paid in US dollars.
Applications including covering letter, curriculum vitae, and names and addresses of three referees should be addressed to the Human Resources Manager. Please complete our online application form using this link:
Closing Date: 26th October 2012
IITA is an equal opportunity employer and particularly welcomes applications from women candidates. Please note that only shortlisted candidates will be contacted.