The International Potato Center (CIP) is seeking a Consultant with experience in managing and facilitating seed systems activities with special focus on multiple biofortified crops including orange-fleshed sweetpotato, vitamin A yellow cassava, vitamin A orange maize and high iron beans.
The Center: CIP (www.cipotato.org) is a not-for-profit international agricultural research-for-development organization with a focus on potato, sweetpotato, and Andean roots and tubers. Its vision is of roots and tubers improving the lives of the poor.
The Building Nutritious Food Baskets (BNFB) project: This three-year project funded by the Bill & Melinda Gates Foundation, seeks to reduce hidden hunger by catalyzing sustainable investment for the utilization of biofortified crops (vitamin A cassava, vitamin A maize, vitamin A sweetpotato and iron rich beans) at scale. The project is being implemented in Nigeria and Tanzania, to demonstrate how multiple biofortified crops can be scaled up together at country level. The project is led by CIP and is implemented by a consortium partnership of – the International Center for Tropical Agriculture (CIAT), the International Maize and Wheat Improvement Center (CIMMYT), the International Potato Center (CIP), the International Institute of Tropical Agriculture (IITA), HarvestPlus and the Forum for Agricultural Research in Africa (FARA) together with the Governments of Nigeria and Tanzania and national implementing partners.
We are recruiting to fill the position of:
Job Title: Consultant – Seed Systems Resource Person
Resource Type: Consultant
- CIP is seeking to recruit a highly skilled and experienced Seed Systems Resource Person who is enthusiastic about working with our multi-disciplinary team of professionals on a multi-crop (“food basket”) approach project.
- The Seed Systems Resource Person will facilitate cross-cutting seed systems activities with special focus on orange-fleshed sweetpotato, vitamin A yellow cassava, provitamin A orange maize and high iron beans.
- The Resource Person will work closely with all seed systems experts to ensure the seed systems component of the project delivers its objectives; and also ensure associated learning materials are aligned to the project objectives and expected results.
- The Resource Person will be required to travel to Tanzania and Nigeria and will report to the BNFB Project Manager. 2
Activities will be implemented in the two BNFB project countries (Tanzania and Nigeria).
- Work with the seed systems experts under BNFB to ensure effective networking, collaboration and communication to facilitate a strategic focus on mainstreaming biofortification into country breeding programs;
- Work with the seed systems experts to define the terms of reference for seed systems platforms in Nigeria and Tanzania;
- Act as the ‘secretary’ to the seed systems platform, and ensure that meetings are scheduled regularly by rotating conveners. The platform will provide the opportunity to deliberate on topical cross-cutting seed systems issues, develop implementation strategies, associated work plans and agree on appropriate division of labor. The platform will also provide opportunities for monitoring and learning;
- Synthesize the respective commodity based seed systems progress reports and develop consolidated seed systems progress reports.
Training and capacity building:
- Provide input to the seed systems partners’ needs assessment exercise and subsequent capacity development response strategy.
Scope of Work
- The Consultant will work closely with CIAT, CIMMYT, CIP, IITA and HarvestPlus and the other consortium partners to coordinate the seed systems activities, synthesize seed systems progress reports and support capacity development activities as called upon.
Duration of Contract:
- This consultancy contract is for 10 working days spread over the period September to December 2016, with possibility of extension, subject to performance and availability of funding.
The candidate shall have the following competencies, skills and experience and/or shall have successfully demonstrated these attributes in actual work situations:
- Relevant PhD degree with specialization in Plant breeding, Agronomy, Seed technology or related fields;
- Extensive experience in developing seed systems in selected commodity value chains (especially with maize, cassava, sweetpotato, beans);
- Experience with developing and strengthening seed supply chain, with a focus on (seed and grain) market development and commercialization;
- Demonstrated success in working with multi-disciplinary teams and complex partnerships both in private and public sectors;
- Excellent social skills and a collaborative style;
- Proactive, creative and entrepreneurial attitude;
- Willingness to travel within the region and work outside normal working hours;
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills in English.
- BNFB will facilitate logistical arrangement for field visits, and meetings. The consultant will be expected to provide his/her own equipment. Working space can be provided with prior notification. Payment will be based on deliverables as outlined in the contract.
- The statements in this description represent typical elements, criteria and general work performed.
- They are not intended to be construed as an exhaustive list of all responsibilities, duties and skills for this job.
Application Closing Date
19th August, 2016.
Method of Application
Interested and qualified candidates should:
Click here to apply online
Expression of interest, including but not limited to:
- A one-page technical proposal illustrating your understanding of the ToR and task to be accomplished;
- A tentative work plan for entire consultancy exercise (including logistics required);
- A financial proposal for the entire consultancy;
- Curriculum vitae.