African Biodiversity Network (ABN)
Job Advert Communications and Advocacy Officer
The African Biodiversity Network (ABN) works with partners across Africa to support communities implement processes that enhance their lives and protect the ecosystems in which they live. As a network ABN, builds capacity of its partners so that they can work effectively with communities and support their advocacy work. ABN does this through organizing training events, exchange programmes and re-granting/micro-project financing. The Communications and Advocacy Officer (CAO) will be working closely with the ABN Secretariat to support partners and communities develop and apply their skills in advocacy and that the work with communities is shared among network partners and allies. This position is aimed at strengthening the continuing work of ABN in accompanying African communities to rebuild their resilience against climate change and other external challenges. The CAO is responsible for all communication and advocacy activities, conducted on behalf of the organization.
- Be responsible for the overall co-ordination and further development of ABN Advocacy Programme.
- Participate actively in the collective planning and assessment of ABN overall programme and organisational development.
- Keep track of relevant emerging Advocacy issues in the region and in other parts of the world and keep ABN members and management updated on such issues.
- Facilitate vibrant communication and information sharing between ABN members.
- Communicate ABN messages and concerns to media, policy makers and the wider world e.g. through materials and press releases.
- Follow-up on action points made in Campaign, Advocacy & Lobbying (CAL) meetings and workshops.
- Maintain active links with like-minded networks, coalitions and alliances.
- Mobilise resources for projects from local and external agencies with a view to creating a sound financial resources base, to strengthen the ABN Advocacy Programme activities.
- Perform any other relevant tasks as given and assigned by the ABN Steering Group.
All experience and qualities are essential unless otherwise stated:
Skills and experience
- Possess a relevant third-level qualification in community development, agriculture, and social sciences or equivalent combination of education and experience
- 3 years experience of advocacy, lobbying or influencing policy in regional environment and agriculture work, preferably in an international setting;
- A sound understanding of the global environment and food issues and the current political framework that this operates within, especially African and global contexts;
- Experience of grassroots campaigning or local groups campaigning – especially on environment or agriculture
- An understanding of current debates and directions in global environment and food issues and an ability to leverage these to drive outcome-focussed results for Africa’s small scale farmers;
- Experience and ability to work in a team and in a multi-cultural set-up;
- Experience of and/or willingness to work overseas
- Experience of working in a network set-up
- Computer literacy (with Word, Excel, Power Point – as basics);
- Ability to write clearly and succinctly (in English and French), for a range of audiences, from lengthy formal reports to short articles for social media or blogs;
- Good listening and communication skills with sensitivity to cultural communication differences
- Ability to manage a budget (track expenditure / basic use of Excel etc).
2.2. Personal attributes
- Highly organised, able to manage multiple tasks and with high level of attention to detail
- Self-motivated with demonstrated personal commitment to international development and poverty issues;
- Good team worker, able to support other members of a team to work together for common objectives, but also work independently when necessary;
- Public speaking experience and good all-round communication skills;
- Willingness and ability to travel.
- Ability to learn quickly about new advocacy targets (eg African Union or regional economic blocs, etc) if you don’t have previous experience.
- Project Management skills
- Appreciation of the need for confidentiality and integrity
How to apply:
Please send your written application and resume by email to: email@example.com
Due to the urgency to fill this position, applications will be reviewed and shortlisted as they are received.
Deadline for applications is Friday, 22nd February 2013.