The Hill City Consulting Limited – Our client, an Agric-tech company provides a platform that give Nigerians the opportunity to participate in Agriculture by connecting farm sponsors with real farmers for the purpose of producing high-quality farm produce. Its mandate is to empower rural farmers, contribute to food security in Nigeria and provide a healthy means of engaging people with Agriculture from a profit driven perspective.
We are recruiting to fill the position below:
Job Title: Cassava and Rice Specialist
Job Type: Contract-based
Contract Duration: 2 years (Minimum)
- The successful candidate is expected to visit and supervise farm activities in areas of company’s interest in different parts of the country, primarily in the southern part of the country and subject to expansion.
- The successful candidate will operate from his/her present location (Home-based) , but will be required to visit the client’s corporate Head Office (in Lagos) regularly for meetings, briefings etc
- The Cassava and Rice Specialist is responsible for the cassava and rice farm operations. The Cassava and Rice Specialist will play a key role in planning, organizing and implementing the production and commercialization plans for all Farmcrowdy’s Cassava and rice Project Farms. He/She will be managing a combined team of Farm Managers, Farm Extension Workers and also the Farmers.
- The role requires a reliable, trustworthy, conscientious, self-motivated professional who is always prepared to be a “hands on” practical farm manager when required. The Cassava Specialist reports to the VP, Operations and the CEO.
Duties and Responsibilities
- Farm Management
- Co-ordinate management of all Cassava and rice farm operations within the region.
- Perform long and short term project management to optimize farm profit and minimize loss
- Coordinate financial and physical performance of the farms
- Successful implementation of short and long term business plans in cooperation with the management team and ground staff
- Manage the initial set-up of the farm from bush clearing, irrigation installations and building up your team
- Manage all day-to-day operations in for cassava farming
- Manage seed acreage contract allocations to farmers
- Land management of cropping systems, nutrients, pests, tillage and other resources
- Increase yield by variety selection and soil improvement practices
- Active involvement in Selection of Farm lands, Soil tests etc
- Co-ordinate an integrated pest management system
- Develop a cost effective and environmentally sound method of enhancing yields
- People Management
- Create a stable workforce by providing leadership for effective management of the staff and operations of the region.
- Provide coaching and training on developing production management programmes which will enhance profitability
- Maintain the Farm Projects’ evaluation program, measuring for effectiveness and productivity of operation areas. Prepare reports as assigned.
- Facilitate Training programs; Develop and Deliver appropriate training to both Farm Managers and Farm Extension Workers; Coordinate training needs assessment
- Risk Assessment and Management
- Set-up agreed KPIs for the region and ensure targets are achieved
- Financial Reports on all Farming activities
- Conflict Resolution
- Compile and Control Yearly Budgets for the region
- Maintain regular communication with the Farm Managers and the Farm Extension workers
- Liaise and interact with Farmers’ co-operatives/ Farming communities located within the region
- Master’s degree with specialization in Plant breeding, Agronomy or related fields
- At least 10 years of hands-on experience in agricultural processes and farms operations with focus on Cassava Production Management and Commercialization.
- Must be able to provide evidence on a previous Cassava farm project/research work in agriculture with reference from the farm management about a successful out-come
- Must have knowledge of Irrigation Farming
- Must have working knowledge of other crops such as Rice; Maize; Tomato and or livestock peculiar to given regions.
- Strong analytical skills with the ability to make sound decisions and solve problems
- Effective leader and team-player receptive to feedback and willing to learn new things and share knowledge and skills; embracing continuous improvement
- Excellent organizational and negotiating skills
- Language proficiency (English & other Indigenous Languages)
- Willingness to Travel
- Must demonstrate ownership of an Agric. Support Network
- Must belong to a Professional Body (Group) that is related/affiliated to Agriculture
- Must have access to Federal (State) Ministries and or Parastatals which are responsible for Agriculture (Products, Equipment and otherwise).
Ranges between N1,800,000 to N2,400,000 per annum.
Application Closing Date
5th May, 2017.
How to Apply
Interested and qualified candidates should send an A type – written cover letter specifically applying for this position, and addressing the minimum requirements as advertised, along with their current CV’s to: firstname.lastname@example.org using the job title as subject of the mail.
- Our Client is an equal opportunity employer and is committed to increasing diversity and inclusion in the workforce.
- Only qualified candidates will be contacted for the interview.