Research Assistant‐ Plant Breeding
The Africa Rice Center (AfricaRice) is seeking a highly qualified Research Assistant specialized in Plant Breeding to be based at AfricaRice, Dar‐Es‐Salaam, Tanzania.
AfricaRice is one of the 15 international agricultural research Centers that are members of the CGIAR Consortium. It is also an autonomous intergovernmental association of African member countries.
The Research Assistant will work within the Genetic Diversity and Improvement Program and under the direct supervision of Breeder or his duly assigned representative. He will undertake the following functions:
- Conduct field and greenhouse experiments concerning rice breeding particularly rice breeding for biotic and a biotic stress;
- Assist AfricaRice Breeders in developing research protocols and conducting experiments;
- Support the further development of the Breeding Task Force;
- Implement, manage and conduct first analyses of experimental data; collect and analyse data for the trials;
- Help breeders to characterize varieties and other experimental materials;
- Participate in the management and supervision of research activities that are conducted in Tanzania on‐station and outside (multi‐locational as well as on‐farm trials); establish and supervise on‐farm experiments;
- Conduct seed preparation for trials;
- Perform crosses and follow the preparation;
- Participate in the training courses on breeding at AfricaRice level and outside where needed;
- Regularly carry out bibliographical searches and writing of technical reports;
- Carry out any other duties assigned by AfricaRice Management.
Education: MSc. In plant breeding or related fields
Work Experience: At least 3 years’ experience.
Key Competencies Required: Strong ability to design and implement field trials including statistical data; ability to work in multicultural environment in close collaboration with NARS.
The ideal candidate must have ability to efficiently work as a member of a multi‐disciplinary team and to take responsibilities for tasks with minimal supervision.
The candidate should communicate fluently (orally and in writing) in English with a good working knowledge of French.
Terms and Conditions
- This is a regionally recruited position.
- AfricaRice provides an attractive salary and benefits package and a collegial and gender‐sensitive working environment.
- The initial appointment is for two years with the possibility for renewal.
Candidates should send an application (including a cover letter and a detailed CV with the following information: Name, surname, gender, date of birth, family status, nationality, certificates obtained, professional experience (stating clearly beginning and end dates of each experience: day, month, year), language skills (French/English), and the names and addresses (including telephone / fax / email) of three referees.
To apply for this position, please send your applications:
To: A.Kpadonou@cgiar.org with the vacancy reference in subject: GSS/34/RD/2013/06
Or to the following address: Head, Human Resources Unit, AfricaRice, 01 B.P. 2031,
Cotonou, Benin Republic
Applications will be considered until Sunday, July 21, 2013.
AfricaRice is an equal opportunity employer. AfricaRice believes that staff diversity promotes excellence in its operations and particularly welcomes applications from women and developing countries.
AfricaRice thanks all applicants but only shortlisted candidates will be contacted.