Post: Agronomist (Field Fellow), Cotonou, Benin
Re-advert: This invitation for applications follows the general procurement notice AfDB43-04/12 for this project that was published on 27 April 2012.
The Africa Rice Center (AfricaRice) wishes to employ a highly qualified Agronomist (Field Fellow) who will be based at AfricaRice, Cotonou, Benin, as part of a multi‐disciplinary team working to sustain and improve the productivity of rice‐based systems in Africa in line with AfricaRice’s mission and mandate. The successful candidate will report to the Rice Agronomist in the Sustainable Productivity Enhancement program.
AfricaRice is one of the 15 international agricultural research Centers that are members of the CGIAR Consortium. It is also an autonomous intergovernmental association of African member countries.
- Develop component technologies especially for low‐input rice‐based systems that contribute to increases in rice productivity while maintaining the natural resource base and conserving water;
- Integrate component technologies in different baskets of crop management options tailored to different target environments including abiotic stress conditions such as drought and iron toxicity;
- Contribute to the development of crop management recommendations for newly released rice varieties in different target environments;
- Provide support to projects where agronomy work is relevant;
- Publish and communicate research results in peer‐reviewed journals;
- Develop annual research and project proposals, work plans and budgets in consultation with the Program Leader and other team members;
- Undertake any other duties as required by the needs of the Center.
- PhD degree in agronomy;
- Good knowledge and experience in the conduct of field experiments including designing and statistical analysis;
- Ability to work under pressure as a member of a multidisciplinary team;
- Excellent communication skills in French with at least working knowledge of English.
- Working experience in Africa and knowledge of rice‐based systems are considered important assets.
Terms and Conditions
- This is an internationally recruited position.
- AfricaRice provides an attractive international salary and benefits package and a collegial and gender‐sensitive working environment.
- The initial appointment is for two years with the possibility for renewal.
Candidates should send an application (including a cover letter and a detailed CV with the following information: Name, surname, gender, date of birth, family status, nationality, certificates obtained, professional experience (stating clearly beginning and end dates of each experience: day, month, year), language skills (French/English), and the names and addresses (including telephone / fax / email) of three referees.
To apply for this position, please send your applications to:
To: A.Kpadonou@cgiar.org with the vacancy reference in subject: IRS/01/RD/2013/01/06
Or to the following address: Head, Human Resources Unit, AfricaRice, 01 B.P. 2031,
Cotonou, Benin Republic
Deadline: Applications will be considered up to Sunday, July 14, 2013.
AfricaRice believes that staff diversity promotes excellence in its operations, and encourages applications from women and developing country professionals.
AfricaRice thanks all applicants but only shortlisted candidates will be contacted.